Grilling season is in full swing and what better way to indulge than with a dense and satiating black bean and mushroom burger. These patties are loaded with fibre and flavour and make for a nice change from the ordinary for your next grilling session.
The antioxidants, fiber, protein, and carbohydrates in black beans make them incredibly dense nutritionally. A diet rich in beans has been connected to better blood sugar regulation, reduced risk of heart disease and cancer.
While this burger isn’t grillable directly on the grill you can use a skillet on the BBQ to get all the smokey flavours without the mess or heating up your house.
Time: 25 minutes
- 4 cups black beans (2 cans, drained not rinced)
- 2 portabello mushroom caps (diced, stems & gills removed)
- 1 cup red onion (diced)
- 1 cup baby spinach (packed)
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup whole grain bread crumbs (or gluten free)
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 whole grain burger buns
- Place half the black beans in a medium bowl and using the back of a spoon or a potato masher, mash the black beans until they are mostly broken down. Add the remaining whole black beans, diced mushrooms, onions, baby spinach, 3 eggs, bread crumbs, garlic, cumin, and pepper. Stir until everything is combined, then let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Start forming the burger patties. Make 6-8 burger patties, depending on how big you would like them, make sure the sides are nice and smooth. If the patties are not holding together well, add another egg and mix before forming the patties.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat with oil. When the oil is warm, place the patties in the skillet and allow each side to cook for 4-5 minutes. Flip gently and allow to cook on the second side for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve the patties on whole grain burger buns with your favourite toppings
- Add a side salad or 2 half cup servings of additional veggies per person to round out this meal
- These do not grill well so stick to the pan method.
- They freeze great and can help make for quick weeknight meals.
As always if you make this recipe I’d love to know how you enjoyed it. You can find me on Facebook or Instagram @kyleyoungnutrition