What if I told you that you could have breakfast for dessert and be healthier for it? Well now you can…you’re welcome. Here’s a guilt-free blueberry breakfast crisp with peanut butter banana nice cream on top.
Blueberries are a potent source of antioxidants, as well as a good source of fibre and vitamin C. Antioxidants help slow aging, protect against cancer, heart disease, and help brain function. Health never tasted so good!
Time: 45 minutes
Blueberry Breakfast Crisp
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder (optional corn starch)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (divided)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (177ºC) and grease a 9” x 9″ baking dish.
- In the dish add the blueberries, lemon juice, vanilla, arrowroot powder and half of the maple syrup. Stir to combine and coat the blueberries evenly. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, add the oats, ground flax, almond flour, and cinnamon and stir until combined.
- Whisk the melted coconut oil with the remaining maple syrup and add to the oat mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
- Spoon the oat mixture over top of the blueberries and smooth it into an even layer.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the blueberries are bubbly and the oats are golden brown. Remove from oven and enjoy!
- 4 Banana (sliced and frozen)
- 2 tbsps Unsweetened Almond Milk (or non dairy milk of choice)
- 2 tbsps Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsps All Natural Peanut Butter (optional)
- Add ingredients to a food processor and blend. Occasionally scrape down the sides and continue to blend until smooth (approximately 3 to 5 minutes).
- Scoop into a bowl with your blueberry crisp! For firmer ice cream, place in an airtight container and freeze for 1 hour before scooping.
- You can use any frozen fruit or combination of fruits to make the crip
- You can add other flavours using a 1/2 cup of frozen fruit for more of a sorbet, or a 1/4 cup of cacao powder for chocolate nice cream
- Top with additional nuts and seeds if desired for an added crunch
- Get creative and see what you can come up with!