What if I told you that you could have breakfast for dessert and be healthier for it? Well now you can…you’re welcome. Here’s a guilt-free blueberry breakfast crisp with peanut butter banana nice cream on top.
Blueberries are a potent source of antioxidants, as well as a good source of fibre and vitamin C. Antioxidants help slow aging, protect against cancer, heart disease, and help brain function. Health never tasted so good!
Time: 45 minutes
Blueberry Breakfast Crisp
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder (optional corn starch)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (divided)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (177ºC) and grease a 9” x 9″ baking dish.
- In the dish add the blueberries, lemon juice, vanilla, arrowroot powder and half of the maple syrup. Stir to combine and coat the blueberries evenly. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, add the oats, ground flax, almond flour, and cinnamon and stir until combined.
- Whisk the melted coconut oil with the remaining maple syrup and add to the oat mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
- Spoon the oat mixture over top of the blueberries and smooth it into an even layer.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the blueberries are bubbly and the oats are golden brown. Remove from oven and enjoy!
- 4 Banana (sliced and frozen)
- 2 tbsps Unsweetened Almond Milk (or non dairy milk of choice)
- 2 tbsps Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsps All Natural Peanut Butter (optional)
- Add ingredients to a food processor and blend. Occasionally scrape down the sides and continue to blend until smooth (approximately 3 to 5 minutes).
- Scoop into a bowl with your blueberry crisp! For firmer ice cream, place in an airtight container and freeze for 1 hour before scooping.
- You can use any frozen fruit or combination of fruits to make the crip
- You can add other flavours using a 1/2 cup of frozen fruit for more of a sorbet, or a 1/4 cup of cacao powder for chocolate nice cream
- Top with additional nuts and seeds if desired for an added crunch
- Get creative and see what you can come up with!
As always if you make this recipe I’d love you know how you enjoyed it. You can find me on Facebook or Instagram @kyleyoungnutrition