Greetings pasta fans! You may have been scared away from pasta dishes by all the bad press surrounding carbs. However, fear not this Chickpea Rotini With Spinach & Walnut Pesto is incredibly healthy and will satisfy even the hardcore pasta lover. It’s loaded with fibre, healthy fats, protein and greens.
While there is certainly some validity to the carb scare out there, this mostly applies to refined carbohydrates (white flour and it’s derivitives like bread, pasta, cakes, cookies, muffins and the like).
Like so many other ingredients it’s all about choosing the right kinds and eating them in their right portions. The problem with refined white flour is that it has been stripped of more than half of its nutrients and also has a much lower fibre content as a result.
Instead, look for whole wheat versions of your favourite pasta, or there are some great legume and quinoa-based pastas on the shelf these days as well.
Time: 20 minutes
- 400g chickpea pasta (substitute whole grain or other legume based pasta)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 2 cups portabello mushrooms (diced)
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 tbsp tamari (substitute coconut aminos or soy sauce)
Spinach & Walnut Pesto Ingredients
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- Boil some water and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking prepare the pesto. Add all of the pesto ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. For a thinner pesto add more oil or water 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- In a medium, pan add the mushrooms and onions and sauteé until soft. Then add the tomatoes and saute lightly for 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain, rinse, and return to pot. Add the pesto and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the pasta to bowls. Top with onions, mushrooms and tomatoes and serve.
As always if you make this recipe I’d love you know how you enjoyed it. You can find me on Facebook or Instagram @kyleyoungnutrition