Looking for a low carb, vegetarian, or grain-free version of this traditional Asian dish? Look no further than this cauliflower fried rice dish.
Enjoy all the flavours of take-out from the comfort of your own home minus the MSG and more nutrients than you can shake a stick at. This cauliflower fried rice dish comes together in less than 30 minutes and is a great weeknight option or lunch you can prepare ahead of time and take with you on the go.
Rice dishes can leave some feeling bloated and over stuffed. This is an excellent alternative allowing you to enjoy a heaping bowl without the bloat, plus the added benefits of loading up on veggies.
To make this even easier you can buy frozen cauliflower rice, saving the time of shredding it.
Time: 20 minutes
- 1 medium-sized head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (or olive oil)
- 2 large carrot shredded
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups frozen edamame or green peas
- 2 beaten eggs (use scrambled tofu for vegan)
- 3 tablespoons tamari (or low sodium soy sauce)
- 6 green onion stalks, minced
- Seasame seeds (optional)
- Unsalted peanuts (optional)
- Shred cauliflower using the large side of a cheese grater or by pulsing medium size pieces in a food processor; you want it to look like rice sized pieces
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add the carrots and garlic and stir fry until fragrant, about 3 minutes
- Add the cauliflower, edamame, and remaining sesame oil to the pan
- Stir fry quickly to cook the cauliflower to a soft (but not mushy) texture
- Add the eggs and stir continuously until the eggs are cooked
- Stir in the soy sauce and green onions
- Serve topped with sesame seeds and/or peanuts & enjoy!
- This dish does not freeze well but will keep for leftovers for up to 3 days
- I like to add a little hot sauce on top of mine fo an added kick, but you do you!