It’s oatmeal season again! This warm belly hugging blueberry oats bowl is packed with nutritious goodness. Antioxidants, fibre, protein, B vitamins, iron, magnesium and vitamin E are all here.
It can be made ahead of time for those short on it, supports good digestion, keeps you full all morning and contains many immune-boosting benefits.
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 4 cups of water (optional substitute all or some of this volume for non-dairy milk of choice for a creamier texture)
- 2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey (optional)
- 3/4 cup raw unsalted almonds – chopped
- 2 ripe bananas – sliced
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 4 tsp raw cacao nibs
- place the oats and liquid in your instant pot (or cook to directions on bag for stovetop)
- cook on manual for 3 minutes sealed
- leave for 20 minutes to let pressure release manually
- while the oats are cooking, put the berries, water, and sweetener (optional) in a small pot and bring to a simmer/light boil for 5 minutes, turn off and set aside
- when the oats are ready, mix the berry sauce in
- serve in bowls and divide toppings equally
- I usually leave out the sweetener and stick with water. If I do add it, maple syrup is my go-to. You could even add it on top of each bowl instead of in the sauce, 1 tsp should be plenty.
- You can also top however you like, other options I like to add are sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and hemp hearts. These will all add additional fibre, essential fatty acids (omega-3) and help keep you full longer. 1 tbsp is all you need!